Here are our top tips for understanding your architectural guidelines:
1. What are architectural design guidelines, exactly?
They’re a set of rules that ensure that every new home built in the area looks good and meets the community standard.
They can include:
- Roof pitch (angle of your roof)
- Window placement
- Finishes (vinyl or stucco) and colours (you can’t copy your next door neighbour)
- Theme (for example craftsman or modern)
- Size and massing (how houses in a new community are arranged)
- Driveway location – which can be affected by:
- Lot width
- Street furniture (community benches etc.)
- What model of house you can build on what lot, for example:
- Walk out basement
- Corner lot
- Setback (how far back your house will be built from the street) and sideyards
- How many trees and bushes you are required to plant
2. When should you learn about your community/phase guidelines?
As soon as possible!
If you have a certain new home style or colour you really want, tell your sales representative immediately.
That way, they can help you secure the colour or style before someone else gets it.
3. Why are architectural guidelines necessary?
Architectural guidelines are in place to:
- Protect your new home’s investment value
- Prevent repetition of colour and style on your street
- Ensure your new home community has a professional look and feel that will endure for years to come.
Simply put, an established guide for how each house looks insures that no one can build an unsightly home and lower the property values for everytone in the neighbourhood.MLC Architectural Consultant
4. Who should you ask if you have questions about your architectural guidelines?
Your sales representative!
They have all the info you need to pick colours and a house style/model when you’re buying a new home.
You can find your sales representative listed on your community website.
5. What are the extra rules for high visability lots?
Know the rules for high visability lots!
High visability lots show off more of their exteriors, so they get special treatment.
New homes on a designated high visability lot will have many great extra features, like:
- Extra windows
- Additional trim
- Window grills
- Custom entry/overhead doors
- Less blank space
PRO TIP! Remember that when you’re buying a new home, a high visability lot may be more expensive because of the additional treatments needed.
6. How do I find the architectural guidelines for my new home?
Links to all guidelines are listed on this page.
Over our many years of creating communities, we know how important it is to have architectural guidelines in place. They are the way to protect the investment each new home buyer makes in one of our communities.
We encourage you to take a drive through any of the MLC Communities, and you will see quite quickly that each street has an impressive, unified look and feel!