Save time. Reduce stress.
Buying a new home can be a fun — but sometimes stressful — experience.
Let us save you time with this quick guide on how to make the most of your showhome visits.
First, decide where you REALLY want to live. A new home in southwest Edmonton? Or a duplex in the west end?
- What school you want your kids to go to
- Check school boundaries
- The commute to work
- Nearby amenities like:
- Recreation centres
- Public transit
- How close is the nearest transit station? LRT station?
Now you can target showhomes in your desired location.
Know BEFORE you go shopping!
- Gather paperwork needed for a mortgage approval
- Here’s a handy mortgage document checklist from CIBC
- Head to the bank to find out what you can afford
With your clear budget in mind, now you can decide what kind of home you can afford.
- Single family home with front attached garage
- Single family home with rear detached garage
- Zero lot line home, aka Skinny House or Skinny Home
Make a List of Questions
Before you go, make a list of questions to ask the showhome sales rep. Some ideas:
- How long will it take to build my home?
- Are there any homes ready now?
- Is there a choice of lots for the home style I want?
- For example duplex, skinny house, rear detached garage, front attached garage
- Can I make changes to my new home during construction?
- Do you have any promotions/sales?
- Do you offer financing?
- Will you help sell my current home?
- (Some builders have real estate companies that will help sell your current house)
- What are the nearby schools?
Discover What You Love
Now you’re ready to go inside the showhome and start dreaming. Take note of things you like, such as:
- Countertop finishes
- Quartz, granite, laminate
- Tile, laminate, hardwood, engineered hardwood
- Do you like an open plan, or do you want more separated spaces?
- Does the builder offer options like:
- Legal basement suites for investment property opportunities?
- Walkout or partial walkout basement options?
Visit Different Builders. Choose the Best One.
We have some of the best new communities in Edmonton — in part because our builders are the best!
- Do your research
- Find out what awards new home builders in Edmonton have won
- While online reviews can be helpful, home builders in MLC Communities have already built in the community, so we recommend asking around the neighbourhood! Most people are more than happy to share their experiences and it is a more reliable way to find out about a builder.
- Here are some questions to get you started:
- Which builder did you build choose and why?
- Were you happy with the process from start to finish?
- Are you happy with the quality of craftsmanship in your new home?
- Would you recommend your builder?
- Do you know if anyone else in the neighbourhood had a different experience?